Sunday, November 15

Lately, it has been about 10-15 degrees! It's getting ready to drop below zero. Devin and I have actually acclimated pretty well. We think it is because of the slow transition from summer to winter here. We went from 60 degrees for a month or two, down to 40 degrees, and then in the 20's and 30's. We are cold, don't get me wrong, but it's not bad at all! We are enjoying the beautiful snow! Driving has also been an adjustment. Fortunately, Devin and I drive down to Anchorage every morning together. We both start and end our work day around the same time. I am so glad because I would be too scared to drive the Glenn highway with all of that ice! We've slid a couple of times when we were downtown. We have to drive pretty slow! Then you also have the yahoos who think they can drive fast, and end up sliding and making a full 360 turn and then get into an accident, man, some people!

I think it's because it's all new, but we are so excited about all of the things winter brings!
I love watching Devin shovel the driveway in the morning.
I love that I have to wear gloves in order to touch the steering wheel, because it's too cold.
I love watching the snow fall with my kids in our classroom.
I love how excited they get when it's time for recess, and when they come back in with bright red noses and cheeks.
I love that scarves, gloves, hats, boots, and coats are not a fashion statement here; they're a necessity!
I love how much more I love hot coffee, and tea.
I love how smooth everything looks with a fresh coat of snow.
I love watching Devin build a fire in our fireplace at least 4 times a week.
I love the way the pine trees look with snow of them.
I love how the bare trees have each branch so gracefully covered in snow and frost.
I love gathering with friends around the fire to play cards.

Now, I realize that some of these things I will not love so much after a few months, like having to wear gloves to drive. BUT, I am enjoying/embracing every moment of it. I'm sure when summer comes, I will be more than ready for it though!

Many more pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment